genushaha

recommendations for my music loving friends around the world

Monday, June 20, 2005

Radio Playlist 6/20/05

Here's the set I'm just finishing up now:

song-artist-album

Mutescreamer - Beans - Now Soon Someday
The Arrival - Aja West & Cheeba - Flash and Snowball
Midnight Marauders - Jo Dukie & Fitchie - The Sound of Dub
Tanzmusik - Kraftwerk - Ralf & Florian
Slimcea Girl - Mono - Formica Blues
Assembled By - Pedro - Early Pedro
What is the Light? - Nobody - And Everything Else?
Deep S*** - Kruder & Dorfmeister - The Rebirth of Cool 3
Dark End Road - Lowlights - Dark End Road
Psuedologia Fantastica - Chef Menteur - We Await Silent Tristero's Empire
Saudosismo - Gal Costa - Gal Costa
My Funny Friend Scott - Mice Parade - The True Meaning of Boodleybaye
Way Back When pt 3 - John Surman - Way Back When
All You Have to Do is Relax and Listen - M'lumbo vs. Kobalt 6 - Spinning Tourists in a City of Ghosts
Pretty Boy Floyd - Woody Guthrie - Folkways: The Original Vision
Earth People - Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonycologist
Experience - Gentle Giant - In a Glass House
Coral Fingers - Feathers - Absolute Noon
Fragile or Possibly Extinct - The Mercury Program - A Data Learn the Language
Ha Ha Ha - Shukar Collective - Urban Gypsy
Quebra Mar - Luiz Bonifa - Solo in Rio 1959
Raise - Greg Osby - DJ Smash Presents Phonography
Eyliyohu Hanovi - the Klezmatics - Brother Moses Smote the Water
Overjaget - Eric Malmberg - Den Gatfalla Manniskan
The Emissaries Reveal Themselves - Radio Massacre International - Emissaries
I Want To - Born Heller - Born Heller
For All You Happy People - Jaga Jazzist - What We Must
Luna Llena - Susana Baca - Susanna Baca
(track 4) - Kid Loco - The Graffitti Artist soundtrack
Taking the Back Stairs - Mecca Normal - Water Cuts My Hands
Kali - State of Bengal vs. Paban das Baul - Tana Tani
Floating in the Clearest Night - Colleen - The Golden Morning Breaks
Crazy - Outside - The Rebirth of Cool 2
The Siren's Admonition - Josephine Foster - Hazel Eyes, I Will Lead You
This Guy's in Love - Stanley Turrentine - The Blue Series Sampler
Maa Durga - Amjad Ali Khan - Moksha

4 Comments:

At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...have you ever heard anything by Toby Mac? He used to perform with the band DC Talk but is now out on his own.

I personally thought he was annoying (but the teenagers in youth group seemed to like him) until I went to the concert where he opened for Third Day and TOTALLY BLEW ME AWAY. Even though he's not my normal style, he puts on a *great* show.

If you get a chance, try checking out a couple of tunes from his latest album. "The Slam" is one of my faves. It's the song he wrote in the parking lot of the movie theater after watching _The Passion_.

The other song you should check out is the title track from his latest album "Welcome to Diverse City." It actually features BOOTSIE COLLINS. (Really! Who knew Toby Mac warranted Bootsie?) It's a great song about diversity in the body of Christ. Funky, too.

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheesh...how could I forget! You *must* also check out "Day of Fire." We also saw them perform at the Third Day concert and they blew us away.

They're a heavier rock band than Third Day. But we heard them do this one song ("Cornerstone") and Dave immediately walked back to their table and bought their CD.

If you go to www.dayoffire.com I think you can read their bio and listen to snippets off of their album.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger genushaha said...

Howdy Shannon! I generally go for the old-timey country gospel stuff. Lately I've been fixated on various versions of "Down in the Valley to Pray." I just love that song, and the simple earnestness of the faith expressed in that music.

My "country gospel" choice last time -- "Eyliyohu Hanovi" as performed by the Klezmatics on their new live album -- strectched the limits a bit. OK, so different country. But it is a beautiful traditional Passover hymn. The whole Klezmatics record, "Brother Moses Smote the Water," is delightful, and they don't just restrict themselves to Jewish songs about Moses and his time.

I have a problem with a lot of "Christian rock." Most music that puts the message first and the music second just doesn't do it for me. You get this a lot more in the folk music tradition. On the other hand, there is a lot of mainstream music, not just country, which speaks eloquently of faith. Someday I'll write up my theory of Depeche Mode as a Christian rock band. I never cared much for DM (or any 80s synthpop band) until I could decipher the lyrics, then I realized they're always talking about Jesus. Johnny Cash does an amazing stripped down version of DM's "Personal Jesus" on his last album, which caused me to go back and give them another look.

Having said that, I do like a lot of the stuff you put on that CD sampler you gave me oh so long ago. Thanks! I should break that out again to see if I want to play any of it on my next regular show.

I do like the "music videos" on Worship.net TV, which we get on a public access channel here. It's just Christian rock lite songs, or often instrumentals, with a visual backdrop of nature scenes and Bible quotes. It appeals to me because my "church" is creation itself. It's one main reason I like driving across the country. Nothing like seeing the beauty of creation to fill me up with faith and awe. God is the Greatest Artist. As my travelling companion Lee says, "God don't make no junk."

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...I'll make you a new CD sampler with some different stuff on it and get it in the mail.

I like the traditional hymns as well...there's a lot of sound doctrine there.

I understand what you are saying about the "message over music" tendency of today. It's definitely a problem. But I also love some of the newer music. There are some good bands writing fantastic songs that really minister to me. ("Voice of Truth" by Casting Crowns comes to mind).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home